We love to craft and want to share our love with the world! Well, maybe not the whole world...yet.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

And now for a little more about Melissa

Hi all! So, I (Melissa) want to share a little more about myself.


I'm a North Carolina native, and I just love living here. I was born in the Piedmont, grew up in Raleigh, went to college in the mountains and now I live in the foothills. Never made it out to the coast, but if my husband has his way, one day we will.

I am the only child of my mother and father (divorce and remarrying makes for lots of siblings), but I grew up as the only child in my home. It's an interesting place to be. Sometimes an only child, sometimes the youngest, sometimes the oldest...the youngest grandchild on one side by 10 years and just 10 years younger than one of my mother's sisters. I really think the constant shift of pecking order and lots of attention from some amazing people of all ages and stages really set me up for creativity.

I also happen to think that being relatively short made me a more creative person (hmmm...how can I reach that peanut butter?)

But more than anything, I think I get my love of thrift and creativity from the women in my family.

So, let's start with my mother.


my mom rockin out
I'll tell you a secret: working mothers are amazing. My mom went back to work to help our family in 1980. But even though we only had a few hours together each day, she made the most out of them. Each year I had a completely homemade and amazing Halloween costume and every Christmas included handmade ornaments. One year for Valentine's day we stayed up waaaay past my bedtime to make all the kids in my class Joan Jett or Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers record-shaped card completed with record jackets and plastic heat-sealed wrapping. (Man, I wish I had kept one!)
Joan Jett rockin out...not to be confused with my mom...

She taught me to knit (which now we have both forgotten), to sew, to be patient with my limitations and to think outside the box. She taught me to appreciate that things don't have to be ideal if you are willing to work with what you have and that sooner or later inspiration will come when you hit a wall. She values the things that could be made over things that could be bought and shows me that love can be expressed in the time spent making gifts that are from the heart.

Thanks Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment