We love to craft and want to share our love with the world! Well, maybe not the whole world...yet.

Monday, May 31, 2010

Upcycling old sheets

Melissa here!

So, I've taken a bit of a break from making things to sell and I've been working with new materials for things in my own home. Research and Development, I guess.

I'm sure you all saw my adventures in plarn. I made of couple of bags, but it wasn't as inspiring as I thought it would be...so I'm moving on....

My next assignment: rag rugs. I've been looking at rag rugs for years, but never could bring myself to buy one. (The curse of a creative soul: don't buy it if you can make it.) Finally, I decided this is the time to get on with it and make one! I had a collection of old sheets and decided that would make a nice material, since it's so large. I decided I'd crochet the rug, and that 3/4 to 1 inch wide strips of material would be the right size.


I realized that I could just rip the sheets into long strips, but I loved the challenge of figuring out a way to turn one sheet into one long strip without using my sewing machine. I immediately thought of a few paper cutting tricks I've seen and this is what I came up with:

I'd love to show you this magic, but I really don't know how to describe it. I'll make a video when I cut up another sheet...promise!

So, with my sheet-yarn balls in hand, I began to crochet:

Come back soon to see the finished product!

No comments:

Post a Comment